Friday, March 29, 2013

My debut

My new job is so much fun, I cannot stand it.  The best parts are when we have a lot of appointments, or court appearances, and the day just flies by.  My bosses are in Arizona right now with their family, so I am the only attorney in the house.  Since I am not yet doing court appearances or meeting new clients on my own,  and I was not left with a whole lot to do, I assumed the three work days they will be gone would be slow.

Man was I wrong!  I had some things to finish up Wednesday morning, which kept me busy.  Wednesday afternoon, a new client situation arose and it needed immediate attention Thursday morning. In court. In a courthouse I have never been to.

So off I went, files in hand, scared to death.  I realize a trial court appearance in a podunk county should not be intimidating to someone who has argued before the Supreme Court but I have a fear of the unknown.  Fortunately, I also have a strong well of "fake it til you make it" in me, and I suspect no one had a clue that I was considering pissing myself out of fear.

There were some curveballs involved that I did not expect (that is what makes it a curveball isn't it?), but I handled it and got the outcome we needed.  yay me!

I was flying high about it on the way back to the office, when I got a text from a  PD about needing to come to a different courthouse to be appointed in another kind of case. Exactly the sort of thing that is right up my alley, too.  So that was trial court appearance number two ever, even though that was pretty informal.

Since today is Good Friday--the first one in my working life that I have ever had off as a holiday from work--we were able to celebrate last night that I did not stroke out over my debut.  And watch basketball, of course.  And Indiana lost, which is almost always a good thing

Today started in the best way possible and I am going to love every minute of my long weekend...especially if Aries foals, like she looks like she is going to do shortly.

Happy good Friday everyone!

0 comments:

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network