Sunday, October 28, 2012

No doubt about D

   I sure do not want to jinx things, but since we are this far into it (she is due the first week of March), I think it is safe to say that Diablo still has a TR Dual Rey baby in there.  Look at the tum on her!
.

    About this time of year, I start getting a little anxious about if the girls are still in foal, if things are going well, what might go wrong, etc. I get even more amped up when it gets nasty cold and gets dark early, because it is so much harder to monitor what is going on out there.  I am going to try to keep up with photos documenting each girl as she gets closer and closer to delivery.  Since D is due first, I started with her.

    I didnt miss not having babies this year, surprisingly.  I had pangs of it of course, but for the most part, it was a relief to not have to deal with it.  Had I not had all these breedings owed to me, I would not have likely bred any more horses.  I do not know what I will do next year, if anything.  Heath thinks when it is foaling time, I will get me revved up again.  He may be right, because I do love those dark nights in the barn, just me and mama, delivering babies.  I don't even mind the frost, and the sweat, and the fear and anticipation and moments of panic where I don't know whether to stand back or step in to help, and the mess it makes all over me but that I never notice until I am at the gas station at 4 am getting my celebratory diet Coke. My favorite part is baby's first word--that high-pitched squeak that he does not seem to know is his- and the special voice that mama uses with baby just the first few days.  I love the quirks each mare has-- like Aries singing to her baby when he nurses the first day or two.  Watching it all happen is like spying on another world where nothing matters but nature, but somehow, I got picked to watch.

Yeah, I guess it might come back

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Spying on another world where nothing matters but nature, ----"

Great thoughts of "life"

Very nice.
enjoy C

sara said...

I can not wait to see pics of the Dual Rey baby. Without question, that will be an awesome foal!

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network