Thursday, October 13, 2011

Manitou Springs, Colorado



Last weekend, I went to Colorado Springs to see my friend Bryce. We had an amazing weekend I will post more about but I wanted to put up some pics of one of our adventures.

Monday one of the many things we did was go to the Manitou Cliff Dwellings in Manitou Springs. This place is pretty cool.





The Cliff Dwellings were built 700 years ago by the Anasazi, out of the sandstone cliffs











There was even art on the walls. It is presumed that this piece was a prayer for rain.

This was a window hole and I have no idea what the vines and sticks were about but it made for a very cool picture




You can wander inside all of the rooms. Many were single family rooms but some are two or three stories tall for multiple families. It is amazing how cool it was inside of them, even though it was really warm outside.
This is a door opening and the stones used to close it up. I guess if you had to get out in a hurry, you would be screwed.

It was a pretty cool place--the museum had a lot of amazing artifacts in it, so I got all cultured up. That always makes me feel better for being frivolous and taking time just for me which is what this trip was really about.

Stay tuned for more photos from other adventures and takes of my great weekend with a treasured friend I am so glad to have back in my life.

6 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I went to Manitou Springs earlier this year. However, I didn't know about the Cliff dwellings. We spent all of our time downtown looking for the natural springs. Loved the artsy town.

Paige said...

It is a neat little town--especially if you like hippies and dope smoking. Very pretty though.

Bryce has lived in the springs forever and had never been to the cliff dwellings either....guess it is easy to miss with so many cool things to do around there. He loves Native American stuff so he liked the musuem stuff.

Reddunappy said...

My daughter lives in C Springs, one more thing to go do when I visit her!!!

Amanda said...

Very cool! Gorgeous color of rock. I sure do love me some culture.

watch what you say about gettin' some culture or i might make you go listen to the rug guy talk about the art of creating rugs by the 5 nomadic tribes in the 'Stans.

glad you had fun!
aa

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful---the artifacts and the history behind those articles complete the mystery. We once saw something similiar--but in Ariz---but not nearly as nice as yours.

Beautiful trip---and as you say 'something different'

Look forward to more pictures.
Enjoy and thanks carol

Anonymous said...

Don't know what is going on this morning--but sent my message.

Bottom line if a repeat.
Beautiful and enjoy and thanks
Carol

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network