Thursday, October 6, 2011

De-weaning 2011

It happens every year--one of the babies un-weans herself. Today, it finally happened. This is Cash's filly--the oldest but the most recently weaned baby. I weaned her last Sunday, and today, when I got to the farm to feed dinner, the gate on her stall was off the hinges and she was AWOL.

The other interesting thing about this baby is that she and her mother refused to stay where I put them, so she has been out with the herd from very early on. That also means that she has been raised on just pasture grass. She sure does not look any the worse for wear for it--in fact, I think she looks better than the other two babies.

That is an interesting discovery. Maybe I should change my practice on raising babies on special feed until they are weaned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, definitely a bonus---in many ways, cost, time, and health.

Hooray!

Oh yeah, she sure looks beautiful. And hope her attitude is just as good too. Win-Win

enjoy weekend---should be nice
Carol

The Cubicle's Backporch said...

She is beautiful! And I like that she's cunning and determined.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network