Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Two things --completely opposite

On the good side, I have gotten back on Harley, after she has been off several weeks due to weather. An indoor is still miserable when it is 10 degrees, so we have been doing the bare minimum horse stuff. Sunday, it was nice, so I took her to Tracy's and had an awkward ride. She had only been ridden with a bit once before, and she was fine with that, but she was a little stiff in her reactions. Considering it all though, she was fine, and her whoa had improved


I took her again tonight and she was all better. Loped real pretty on the lunge line, although we cannot confirm she has ever loped on a lunge line. She was beautiful. When I got on, she was back to her regular willing self, quick to respond, and totally on her game. I have been waiting for my braveness to kick in so I could start trotting her. I know she has been ready, but I have not been. I am a bad trotter on the best day and have somewhere along the way lost my ability to post, so Tracy has been teaching me. I just do not have the confidence I need to start one at that gait.

Today was the day and we did it! And she has a great trot--nice and smooth and very comfortable. I did not hurt myself, or her, or flop around like a dead body--I did it right!

So that was awesome. I felt so good afterwards, and wanted to keep doing it. We will keep this up for a while. And soon I will get my nerve up for the lope. And I want to get her out of the indoor, so soon, we are going to get outside. It is almost trail riding season, and I am sure she is ready for it. I am excited to take her.

I am also thinking about who we are going to start next. I am all full of myself now.

On the awful side, we have had some shakeups at work that have thrown everyone for a loop. Change is hard.

On the much worse side, unless things change in the next 8 hours, Barry is coming home from wherever he is to help me take Simba to the vet. It is time. I love her too much to watch her be scared that she cannot make her hind legs work. She does not hurt, I know, but she is confused. No one deserves to live like this.

These decisions rip me apart. Please think of her in her last days, and that they are as pleasant for her as possible, and that I have not waited too long. I swore I would never do that again, but it is so damn hard to know what to do.

10 comments:

Holly said...

I am so sorry about Sim. You know I've thought about you and her constantly the last few days.

Having done it both ways myself with the last two dogs, I am firmly in the camp of "better a day too soon than a minute too late".

((hugs))

Holly said...

However, GOOD FOR YOU! On the trotting. You go Paige, I know you can do it!

Paige said...

Well as this may delay my arrival until later Thursday nite, or even Friday, depending on when Barry can get here from wherever he is, it is good you understand

And when I show up on your doorstep looking like the wreck I will be, you will know why

Anonymous said...

Hugs and thoughts to you and Barry-

Better to think of Simba first and what is best ----you guys come second.

Been down "that road" myself---sigh!

Take care Carol

Shelley said...

It's so hard to let go of our animal companions. Their time with us seems so short. It's also doubly hard to have to make the decision to end their suffering. We just do the best we can and hope it's not too early or too late.
Hugs to you and Simba.

Tiffany said...

Making that decision is the hardest thing to do. EVER. You second guess yourself and you're a mess. My thoughts are with you and Simba.

P.S. I tell our weenie dog Flapjack ever night that he better die in his sleep when he gets old because I can't make another decision like I made for our last dog.

Amy said...

Sorry to hear about Simba :( - hang in there...thinking about you!

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I'm sorry to hear about Simba. I think it gets harder, not easier, as we outlive more and more pets in our life.

Good for you though on the horse-starting front. If nothing else, look at how much you will save if you still have to send colts out for training. A trainer can accomplish a lot in 30 days if the colts come to them already nicely started.

KarenTX said...

It's hard to make those decisions, even when you know it's the right thing to do. Hugs... Congrats though, on the "trot", I'm so out of sync that I would definitely be flopping about.

KarenTX said...

It's hard to make those decisions, even when you know it's the right thing to do. Hugs... Congrats though, on the "trot", I'm so out of sync that I would definitely be flopping about.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network