Friday, November 5, 2010

Greatest Music of All Time?

I have no idea why I am thinking of this, but I have been in a weird mood all day, so this is probably one of the most normal trains of thought I have had.


You know how some music puts you in a serious mood? Like your main song from your first boyfriend can make you all melancholy and nostalgic? But its still good to hear it in a surprise way.

Today I am thinking of music that makes me happy....sing it out loud while you are driving and maybe jig around your house kind of happy. I do not think the stereo in my house is even plugged in because we get no stations and we are so out of date, we think getting a radio station is still how you get music, so if I am really getting after it in my house, it is to music in my head. I figure it does not matter since only dogs live here most of the time, and who are they gonna tell? It does scare them a little.

When I was in college, I had a roommate who would play old high school music when she was lit up stupid drunk and cry about her ex boyfriend. That would be sad, but it was usually music by Tiffany or some other great musician--not really the kind of music that should inspire that reaction. All of us who got caught cross ways in one of her concerts of treachery and depression struggled with not laughing our asses off, but to do that would cause a whole other level of crazy to get loose of her. That was a complicated time in my life, but we had a lot of fun too, so do not think I am just complaining. I am, but also, there were good things.

So anyway, off the drunken lush music and back to the good stuff--what are your best songs ever? The kind that make you sing and carry on like you think you are on Solid Gold-- this takes a lot for me, since I do not dance in public unless I have been overserved pretty seriously. When I am by myself though--watch out! I have car dances, office chair dances, slide up and down the hallway dances--you name it, I have it. Barry dances, so when he catches me doing these he always makes me stop it. He says it scares him and I might hurt myself. He probably has something there, but I guess I just found a good side effect of him living elsewhere for work.

In any event--here comes the list

I love almost anything by Prince. I love me some Prince. I know I have mentioned this more than once on here. The raunchier the Prince song the better. I remembering buying a 45 on Little Red Corvette at 3D when I was a little bitty kid--the first one I bought with my own money, I think. That should have been a sign right there--I blame my parents. Don't I always? I love the real filth, like Darling Nikki and Pussy Control and Gett Off. That is a little embarrassing.

Old time Madonna--like the original stuff. Lucky Star, Holiday, etc. I wanted to be Madonna so bad. Didn't all little girls in that era?

Welcome to the Jungle by Guns N Roses. That was some good shit. I should buy that CD, it was one of the best ever.

Best cruising song of all time --Pour Some Sugar on Me by Def Leppard

Run-D.M.C. / "Walk This Way"

The Bangles / "Walk Like an Egyptian"

Mötley Crüe / "Dr. Feelgood"

The Beastie Boys. One of the Greatest Albums of all time, that still lives in the cars we have. That was some good stuff.

I also love me some Boy George--I do not have to get up and flail around from Culture Club music, but I do have to turn it up loud.

Paula Abdul / "Straight Up" --this was a good racing to lunch song, that we all sang along too. We thought we were such hot shit. Good Lord. If we only knew

Tone-Loc / "Wild Thing". Is there anyone who does not have great memories about this song? Or Funky Cold Medina--that reminds me of a particular nite.

House of Pain--Jump Around

Not that it calls for dancing, but I love Eminem. He is a genius, like my main man Prince. I love his stuff

Spin Doctors--Two Princes--reminds me of sorority stuff. The parts I can remember, that is.

Good Vibrations--Marky Mark. He turned out all right, but what happened to the Funky Bunch? I probably represent them

Naughty By Nature- OPP

Bell Biv Devoe--Poison. Reminds me of my high school graduation trip to Destin with Sam and Melissa. Was that a week. It is quite possible people would consider us some overprivileged spoiled brats with way too much freedom. They would be right. Good times though, mostly

The Humpty Dance--Digital Underground

NWA-- Straight Outta Compton. Not much dancing inspired by this one, but it sure could fire you up. Still can. I just don't want anyone to hear me listening to it.


Rock You Like a Hurricane--Scorpions

Metal Health-Quiet Riot

Lots of Black Sabbath and Ozzy from the 80s

Talk Dirty to Me- Poison

Still of the Night -Whitesnake

Most Kiss music. I have always been a believer in Gene Simmons even way before everyone else was.

Im embarrassed to admit I loved Skid Row, Cinderella, Poison, Warrant, Winger, and Van Halen--although I do not think Van Halen should be in the embarrassing category.

This was kind of fun. If I could work an IPod, I would buy one and put all these songs on it. That seems like a lot of work.

What is your favorite music to get fired up by?

11 comments:

Amanda said...

I'm onto all of those! You came up with some good stuff... but I probably liked most of that b/c you were playing it and I thought you were so cool. Glad I got a hold of myself and realized otherwise.

Excellent list! BUy an iPod and I'll upload all of it for you.
aa

Holly said...

Take the long way home/Supertramp

Come undone/duran duran

ordinary world/duran duran

nearly anything by Dave Matthews

Bruce Hornsby

anything by Cold Play or Lifehouse

lots of Country music

Three doors down

Sarah McLaughlin

Unwell/Matchbox twenty

Goo Goo Dolls

Vertical Horizon

Holly said...

oh....and you should check out

playlist.com

you can make up your own playlists and play them.

Gail said...

I like all these but I am taking you way back. My father had the big band music and my favorite all time song is "In The Mood", upbeat, wonderful, and makes me want to dance so matter how down I am when I hear it.

Venom said...

You forgot AC/CD - for example, what about 'Girl's Got Rythym'? 'Hells Bells' also stirs me to the bone, as does most R&R.

Also dearly loved, and still love, Dr. Hook, the Eagles, Bryan Adams, KISS, and so many more there is not space to mention them all. More recently love Eminem (guilty pleasure), Gavin McGraw, & James Blunt. Country music lover as well, old and new.

Anonymous said...

None of your blog readers would even remotely remember my favorite songs.---

No one was even born back then.

Stardust was our wedding dance and IF I HEAR IT--the feet and body start swaying.

Big Band era of Glenn Miller and those guys--String of Pearls, etc

have kids who grow up to be teenagers and how about Chicago, The Eagles, for awhile Neil Diamond stuff and ? ? ? don't know the names but boy I can't sit still as love to dance

not sure about the names and songs of today--cause can't UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY ARE SAYING AND IS THAT REALLY MUSIC? ? ? ?

Finally the latest is the "cowboy' stuff--Kenny something. I like it.

Ha--now scratch your heads and wonder what planet I came from ? ? ?Enjoy Carol

Janice said...

I just can't imagine with the list you had why you didn't have Sir Mix A Lot. Don't you have memories of Baby Got Back? "I like big butts and I can not lie . . ." or Buttermilk Biscuits "buttermilk biscuits here we go sift the flour roll the dough . . ." ROFLMAO

I think I may have to traumatize my children by playing some of that AND dancing around like a fool. HA

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Well, first and foremost, there's BOWIE, of course! He covered all kinds of music from Glam, to instrumental, to cabaret, to pop, to hard rock, etc. etc.
Nowadays, I really like Indie and new wave stuff. Some of my favorites, old and new are: Muse, Arcade Fire, Moby's Hotel album, Flaming Lips, Duran Duran, Marilyn Manson's Mechanical Animals album, Cage the Elephant, Vampire Weekend, Elefant, Patty Smith Group, Lou Reed, My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade album, Offspring, Sublime, Prince, Secret Machines, Modest Mouse, Fleetwood Mac, Green Day, Reo Speedwagon, Meatloaf's Bat out of Hell album, Journey, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, Queen, The Shins, Broken Bells' The High Road, My Chemical Romance's The Black Parade, Apopcalyptica, Cat Stevens or Yusef Islam or whatever he calls himself now, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, Lady Gaga, did I miss anybody??

EmmaP said...

omgosh... thanks for the trip down memory lane!

I loved BBD and several of the others you mentioned. One I remember from a particular dance is "Pump Up the Jam" by...[too lazy to google it]. I also love TLC's "Let's Talk About Sex".

Shelley said...

Black Water by Doobie Brothers
American Girl by Tom Petty & HB
several songs by REO Speedwagon
and some Marvin Gaye

Anonymous said...

Oh my I was cackling out loud when I read the list. More I think from the memories than the songs. My list is eerily similar but I think that is because you controlled the radio. You did forget the ace of bass from the the Tbears days.
Tranae

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network