Thursday, April 15, 2010

Baby Wonky Legs gets new shoes

Is that the most handsome young man you have seen all day or what? He is just perfect--- if you don't see his front legs!
He sure looks little to me, to be getting all this attention. But he is getting it anyway.
Wednesday nite, this showed up to try fix up short stuff's legs. We put Dalric medial extension shoes on him, to try to straighten up his leg. This is part three of our attack on baby wonky legs, and we are hoping it will help us avoid surgery.
After cleaning and roughing up his hooves, baby wonky legs tried on these cool glue on Dalric shoes.
The cuff part of the shoe is flexible, so it can be fit exactly to him. The farrier marked the spot that fit him perfectly
And then it was time to apply the shoes, with a special glue. The black part on the bottom was temporary, but made him look like he was wearing high heels. Those parts were taken off this morning
The whole shebang was wrapped in electrical tape to hold things as still as possible until the glue set.
By this morning, after the tape was removed, this was what one shoe looked like. This is actually the leg that is barely out of whack.
I need a straight on picture, but this gives you an idea of how wonky the right leg is.
Because he was sedated some to get the work done, baby boy was worn out after wards. By the time I got done doing all the other work, he was passed out cold in the hay. I heard him snoring right away and he was sleeping so hard, I got to cuddle with him for a while without him getting made at me.


Tonight I spoke to the stallion owner to let him know what was going on--this is absolutely not a genetic thing, but I thought he might have some ideas from all his years of breeding. He calmed me down so much, so that I am no longer that worried about it. He says to confine him, as we have mostly been doing, and give it 60 days and I will likely be shocked at the results. If he needs the periosteal stripping at that time, it is no big deal and will fix him up good as new.

That makes me feel better--I needed someone to tie it all together for me. Cross your fingers that all this works for baby wonky legs and that he gets another name

7 comments:

Holly said...

good that the breeder was not concerned about it. Good that the baby boy got some new shoes and good that you are feeling better about it.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

It's all very interesting although I'm sure you're wishing you didn't have to go through it. Thanks for sharing and I'm hoping it'll all go well without needing the surgery.

He certainly does have a darling little face!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is "advanced schooling" for your Horse Student.

But he certainly is a handsome dude .

Take care of all Carol

the cubicle's backporch said...

He is so stinkin cute! He has the cutest little face... and I love that he's so conked out. Poor little guy!

I'm glad the breeder calmed your worries. Although with a cute little face like that, who's going to notice his legs? ;)

Shelley said...

Well, I have a name suggestion. Call him Willy....as in Willy Wonka.

He is a cutie. The special shoes look kind of Medieval though.

Anonymous said...

I think you should name him Haida's Hip-Hop or Hop Along, or Haida's Willy.
Mom

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I'm glad the stallion owner was able to alleviate some of your concerns. I'm sure the shoes will be helpful to bringing that leg back into line.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network