Monday, February 15, 2010

Mardi Gras recap

I do not even know where to start with this story. Saturday was cold, but not awful. About thirty degrees I think. We were two hours late for the parade, so we assumed we missed it and avoided that section. Turns out, the parade lasted four hours. Oops!
Our first order of business was to meet up with Crystal--one of my very best friends from grade school. I have not seen her for fifteen years, and only a very little bit since then, as they moved away when I was in eighth grade. It was swell. She is doing great, and I hope to spend more time with her now that I have found her again.
After we dropped her back at her nudie party, we found my new intern Ryan and his girlfriend, Sarah. We tried to find them in the streets, but it was easier for them to just come over to the apartment and hang out on our balcon. Turns out, we had one of the prime locations in all of Soulard--just outside Clementine's, who had the biggest crowd and best music of the mid-day. We threw beads to see boobies, and as people we knew came by, we entertained. Some funny things happened during that section of the day, including people showing up that I did not know I was supposed to know, but I was. Very weird, but fun. We also met the new neighbors at Barry's apartment--and maybe 50 of his friends. He had a very big party.
I was pretty content to watch the crazy goings on from the balcony, because some places are absurd and think a person should pay $20 to stand inside instead of in the streets. Not me, thanks.
Besides, we had this scene from our balcony. This was Clementine's.
I have absolutely no idea what this was about.
This is Clementines. I still do not know if that is a man or a woman in the headdress and I devoted a good part of my day to figuring it out.

More decoration.

This was part of the drunken idiot transport system. It is a John Deere 6 wheel Gator like mine, used to haul dumbasses out of the district. No cars were allowed in the area, so this Gator had lights and a siren. Cracked me up.

This was across the street from Barry's. You should have heard us all suck our breath in, as we watched this fool climb up to his perch on the roof. And he never even put down his big lug of magic.
This was a very happy dancing girl, who needed to climb a tree. She practically fell out, but it did not seem to bother her.
These are some of the more unique outfits we saw. I think they were dressed as water buffalo. I do not know why.

This chic must have impressed people as a wide path cleared as she came through.

I cannot explain this either. We were dancing in the street at McGurk's
I thought this was an exceptional hat. It lit up on the ends.
I do not think there is much funnier than a little white boy dressed up in his pimp coat
I always pick up these sorts of oddballs on my adventures. I do not know why he felt the need to write on his shades, but I thought that hat was a must have, so who am I to ask? Actually, Barry bought that hat for himself and I took it away from him to have for my very own. Watch out for me, I may wear it every day.

This is a little obnoxious, but it was funny, so here is a picture of it.

I will catch up with some more stuff this week, now that I am home. Barry's mom is still in the hospital, it snowed like crazy for here and I have to go back to work tomorrow. In the meantime, I swear I have gained 10 pounds. I have to get my life back in order- and now that this is over, I can.

6 comments:

Holly said...

you live a far more exciting life than I do. Mardi Gras is one of the things I feel is best viewed from afar (for me). Glad YOU went tho, otherwise I would not have this window into the goings on!

Anonymous said...

Ah Ha! Holly and I must be "kindred spirits" as my participation is ENJOYING your wonderful adventures and what a proper day- - -

Today which is FAT TUESDAY

I'm greedy---hope you post more pictures. That guy up on the chimney----waiting for Mary Poppins to come by?

On serious note---thoughts go to Barry's Mom.

Laughing and enjoying Carol

The Half Assed Housewife said...

You are so much braver than I! There is no way in heck I would try to brave Mardi Gras even though it seems like a blast.

Jennifer said...

Ahhh.. I miss Mardi Gras! I grew up on the gulf coast of TX- the little part that borders Louisiana... and my family is cajun-descent from Baton Rouge. There are no king cakes up here in NJ.. it really sucks! Stopping by from Half-Assed Housewife.

Anonymous said...

Interesting pics.
Mom

Gail said...

Too much excitement for me! I dislike crowds so you were in the best spot, above it all, enjoying.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network