Monday, January 4, 2010

Poopsicles

Go ahead, guess who has horse shit in the fridge?

Not that hard to figure it out, huh? Right up in there next to the mustard selections, is a bag of poop. And I anticipate having more poop, so the current poop is in a bag with Daisy's name on it. You don't see that every day.

I got the full necropsy report today, and one of the findings was that there was great parasite damage. I find that so frustrating because I am rabid about deworming. I start them at two months with Panacur, then move up to ivermectin. So by the time she died suddenly, Ghostie had been dewormed at least 5 times. Probably even six. And yet she had adult nematodes all up in there. How in the hell does this happen?

It was not what killed her but they had done a lot of damage. The pathologist told me on the phone that she was never healthy, and had some immune system failures, but I did not know then that there was parasite damage, so I could not ask if her immune issues would allow the parasites to hurt her more than normal, or make the dewormer not work, or just how it all plays together.

So on Nena's advice, I am doing fecals on the babies to see what in the hell is going on. That is not as easy as you would think, since it is so dang cold that it is practically frozen the second it hits the ground. I want some solid answers on what is going on around here--it does not make sense that my deworming program is not working on the babies, since I am using ivomec, which supposedly has no resistance issues.

The worst part is that I have big dealings in court tomorrow, and you know full well my day will get out of whack and I will end up before the Court with shit in my purse before I get time to or remember to drop it at the vet's. And if you don't know that by now about me, you just are not paying attention.

In other news, I wore the new Carharrts to feed. That is sweet. And I needed them because the spigot is still frozen at the boys' barn, which requires me to hand water these fools in the back behind the house. This requires me to fill a 5 gallon bucket then drag it to them. Twist drinks first, til Sly moves him off, then Sly tumps it over. I start all over. I gave them a 20 gallon bucket to pour it into, but every time I would go fill the 5 gallon bucket, they would run off with the big one. I would have to go into the back pasture to fetch it back. That is also not as easy as it sounds, since we have a high tech rope tying that gate shut and inevitably I will shock myself on the hot wire trying to finagle it. And it is unGodly cold--8 degrees tonight, so even touching anything after drawing water made me stick to stuff. I am not a fan of sticking to stuff. Under any circumstances.

But that is all over now, I am in the house and the muscle aches are setting in--I had a great workout with the Beast today, and got in almost an hour of spinning, so I am stiffening up. It is time to quit jacking around here and get back on the program hard. Let's see how I do tomorrow since it is going to be a tough day all around.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if it makes you feel better, I've got leftovers in MY fridge that LOOKS like shit.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh my! How can they be infested with such a stringent program??

You made me laugh, thinking about those fecal samples sitting in your purse all day. Just imagine if they were to do a purse search at court. lol.

I'm on the bucket brigade for my horses too. Those 5 gallon jugs come in mighty handy. Somehow my pipes froze although I was sure we had turned off the water before the hard freeze. And now I'm wondering if I also have a busted pipe because I have a little pool of ice where none should be. Oh lordy, it's just too cold!

City girl turned Country Girl said...

You know Paige it's funny you mention Panacur...What form is it? ie- gel, paste?? I read somewhere that the Panacur wasn't working because of the way it was made...I don't know if it would help to know but if your others have the same issue maybe you can pin point it back to somewhere...

Good luck with your poop dealings!

Anonymous said...

Good Grief! and I wish I could help or do something----but all I can give is encouragement

maybe some silly comments to make you smile

and good luck in court today-----

take care Carol

Michelle said...

Wow, you better not reach for your Blistex and grab the wrong thing! That would be interesting to explain (as would the unusual smell that seems to emanate from your being..)
It sucks to hear about Daisy. I can't even imagine how that would come about, but I'm curious if you get any interesting leads. Hope the others are clean.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

You know, Leah Fry just about lost an adult horse due to a massive Strongyles impaction. He was also on a regular rotational worming program.

It certainly would seem that there is something going on with the effectiveness of the wormers??

hooves said...

I don't know what your vets have advised you on worming foals, but this is the program I used for years back in the day when raising them: I started worming at two weeks old and then wormed one time per month until they were 1 year old. That is what my old time vet told me to do. I think I probably started with panacur back then, but can't remember for sure. hooves

the cubicle's backporch said...

Poopsicles! I love it!

I hope you figure out what's going on with your babies! How frustrating that you're doing everything right and yet something is NOT RIGHT. Argh!!

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network