Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Two steps back

I was so excited for tonight to give Tango her last shot and call her a healthy, cured of cellulitis, filly.

NOPE.

She is swelled up again tonight. It has been two or three days since there has been swelling, but I still should not be this upset. I know cellulitis is serious, and I know we have been at this for three weeks, and tried three different antibiotics...but surely we will get it taken care of eventually. But damn it, I am frustrated.

She is getting better about taking her shots like a nice girl, which is pretty impressive, since she gets two hits a nite. Who would get nice about that? She is handling it all right though.

I have to call the vet tomorrow to tell him to scratch my story of yesterday, telling him that I thought we had it beat. I need yet another antibiotic.

My concern is that the next option is likely Baytril--which has to be given IV. I cannot hit a vein reliably unless it is in some saint like Playmate or Twister (yeah, I realized I just called those two demons saints--that is how out of kilter I am). Unfortunatly the vet does not have facilities for me to just leave her there and let him do it either. I sure hope he has another suggestion, or I do not know what I will have to do to make this work. Whatever it is though, we will get through it.

I just feel like wallowing tonight, I guess.

Which is a shame, as I got cute new hair today, have had a couple good days of eating so I feel better, and am cooking up some steak for my dinner tonight. I even saved up carbs to I can make a twice baked potato--something I have never done before. This could be interesting.

If anyone has any great stories of how you cured cellulitis over nite, this would be a good time to share that wisdom!

9 comments:

Holly said...

no stories, never had to deal with it before.

Poor Paige and Poor Tango. You two will sure get to be buddies huh?

I wish I had your will power for losing weight....I need to drop about 30#.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Gosh I sure wish I could help you with that but that's not one that I've ever dealt with! And I hope I never do from the nightmare it's caused you!! I hope you love your new hair and got some good rest!! I know you will tell us but I will be ready to hear what the Doc has to say now...

Anonymous said...

Horse Student has no advice. Still in the pre-horse school and learning stage.

Sorry Carol

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

This Ozarks farm chick lost 25 pounds one summer before I had to go back to the classroom. It was for cholesterol purposes but the weight just was an added benefit. I went on the Heart Association diet and don't get me wrong it was blood sweat and tears, but I was bound and determine not to take the drugs that mess with your liver.

Two and a half months of yoga, lots of walking, swimming and prayer I did what the doctors told me I couldn't( what the heck do they know anyway?). That was five years ago and it's still working even though I've retired to our working farm, the Ponderosa.

Ya'll have a wonderfully blessed day!!! So glad I popped in. :o)

Doc said...

Hope she heals up soon!

Shelley said...

Wish I was closer. I'm not to shabby at IV shots.

Jodi said...

Can he come out and put a pic line in for you?

Carrie said...

I would be happy at only fighting it for 3 weeks. I am on week 7. But like we have discussed - my Canadian vets definately don't seem to know as much as yours do. So here we both sit - frustrated, anxious and feeling a little helpless.

Hugs!!!

And good job on the eating right. I have to get back on that band wagon.

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network