Wednesday, October 7, 2009

This is what fall looks like

Finally, the grass is turning brown, and the trees are starting to turn. In the background, you can see how late the beans are...they are still not ready, but are starting to brown.

Every one of these horses are Slybabies. On the left is Tango, a yearling fully out of Squeak. Next is Uno, a yearling gelding out of Aries. The sorrel is Midgey, a four year old filly out of a Handle Bar Doc mare. Harley, on the right, is a two year old out of Gyro. It is interesting to me the similarities among them, but also the differences. Their dams vary from 14 hands to 15'2" .....but not in the way that you would think. The sorrel Midgey has the biggest dam, who was cow and running bred, and she is 14 hands at 4. But she was 38 pounds at birth for some reason. Harley is the biggest in this pic, and she is only two--and 14'3" at the hip. Almost two inches shorter at the wither so far--but she will get there. She is longer bodied, like the reiner her mother is.

The two yearlings are the most interesting to me. Tango's dam is 15'1", Uno's is 14 hands. He has always been like a miniature adult, relatively balanced and without those goody baby and yearling stages. Tango has been a goofy stage for months. She will turn out though.

I am not sure if you can see it in this pic, but they all have the curly ears Sly puts on them. And a similar pattern of mannerisms as well.

It is fun raising babies out of a horse that is so prepotent. I can pick a Slybaby out of a crowd anywhere, because they mostly have the same cocky look to them--add in the curly ears, and the forearm, and I can pick em.

4 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

That is a great photo! Yes, I can see a lot of similarities between all of them. They are all lovely!

Tenakim said...

they are so gorgeous!

coreymom40 said...

That picture made me think of the movie "Tombstone". Don't ask.
I love that movie....

That's a great photo!

Gail said...

When I got my Haflinger, she was bred, unknown by everyone except Charme and her Doc Bar line Daddy. Magic is a wonderful surprise.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network