Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ever-changing Xanadu



Xanadu changes colors all the time, and she is going into her winter color--which is a darker smuttier red color. She is registered as a dun, but when you see her in this color, she sure looks like a red dun instead of a dun...then in the spring, she will probably look more brassy and there is no doubt that she is regular dun.

But who cares, as she is gorgeous no matter what shade she is. I love how her face turns black.


But more than her color, I love the way she is built. Look at the hip on her, and not that you can see it really well in this shot, but her forearm is massive.
Her dun factor is pretty obvious--every time I hear someone swear they got a dun baby from non-dun parents, because it has a "dorsal stripe", I think of Xanadu and how you never had to question whether she had it or not.
More prominent than her dorsal stripe, which is pretty skinny, but clearly defined, are the crazy stripes on her legs. These stripes are my favorite of the dun factors for some reason, they look so primitive. Xan's belly is mottled too, like the stripes did not know when to stop.

I like when seasons change because I know she will change with them-- it is always a mystery what color it will be next

3 comments:

Holly said...

Xan is a big mare overall. Does she ride? I bet if she decided to hunker down and use that butt, it would be explosive.

Anonymous said...

Your pics should be in a magazine.
Love you,
Mom

Paige said...

Oh yeah she rides--it has been a while, but we rode her all of her two year old year, into her three year old year until she went to Carol Rose to be bred, and stayed all summer--then when she came home from there and lost her baby, we rode her all that winter until she went back down there her four year old year.

I have some funny Xan on the trail stories.

She can stop really hard but my theory is that is because it is too much work to hold up that big ass

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network