Thursday, August 14, 2008

Squirrel Girl grows up


This is the Squirrel, Hotrod's 2 year old filly that is owned by my friend Jodi and her family. She was the first Slybaby that ever left the farm. It was a big day.

She was scheduled to go to the trainer this fall, but Jodi's daughter got tired of waiting---and started her, herself. Bailey is 20 and this is her first colt to start, but she comes by her horse sense naturally. The whole family barrel races and Bailey has had her share of success in that field.

These photos are from last nite- day 3 of ever having someone sit in the saddle. She had previously been saddled and ponied by Jodi, over the course of the summer, so this was not too shocking for her. They led around the indoor arena the first nite Bailey sat on her, then the second day they went to the outdoor arena. There, Squirrel was not sure about moving forward with someone on her, but no one leading her. That is very typical Slybaby behavior--but VERY different from her brother Target, who is all about go go go.


She figured it right out though and is already trotting around, backing nicely--Jodi says better than some grown horses- and getting along well with Bailey.

I could not be more proud, I swear. It is possible that Jodi is more proud of Bailey than I am of Squirrel, but it is probably a toss up!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I like her very much, she reminds me of my mare.

Go Squirrel!

Holly said...

I like her very much, she reminds me of my mare.

Go Squirrel!

Lorna said...

Congratulations to all around! What an awesome start!

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network