Sunday, January 20, 2008

A new high for me

Gracious Lord, hay just gets crazier and crazier.

We finally received our delivery of timothy that I ordered in July. Mid-unloading of the semi, the power steering fluid started pouring out of the tractor, so that pump needs to be replaced I guess. One more thing to be added to the list.

Then we went to our regular hay broker to pick up some more of the good alfalfa mid-squares. We have hit an all time high for it now, at $250/ton. Lordy Martha. It is good stuff, but man does that hurt. Thank goodness we are able to afford it.

We also picked up a couple of bags of Chaffhaye--something I have wondered about for years. I always wondered if it was all it was cracked up to be, so we shall see. I am trying it in small amounts on Grandpa and Lucky (and I gave some to Squeak and Rock too since they were standing there), and they all got into it. Since it is already broken down a bit, it should be easier to digest. Mostly I want to know if it is a viable alternative in the future, should we ever have hay obtaining problems.

You can read about it here http://www.chaffhaye.com//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=27

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. That tractor is going to be the death of you yet.
Good luck!
Love you,
Mom

MicBel QH said...

I am glad we have plenty of hay right now. Our supplier has kept his prices the same though, but then this is his own hay and we are his biggest customer I believe. I don't know what we'll do when he's not able to bale hay though, he's the best supplier of horse hay I know.

Seems like you have lots of trouble with that tractor, but I know there is always something around here breaking too.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network