Monday, January 14, 2008

Mojo is outpacing me

Here is a problem I never thought I would have. I have been trying to do what Holly said and not push him too hard this week--let him settle into the eating out of my hand, get used to the real clicker, etc. Since I took off yesterday, I thought we would have to back up a bit today.

Not so much.

He picked up right where we left off. I tried a new trick of touching my belly or my leg or something, and saying "touch" and he would. He liked that more than my hand I think. He was not perfect but pretty dang good with touching wherever I told him to.

Another thing I tried was when he touched my hand, I would try to brush my hands across his muzzle or whatever he touched me with before I clicked--trying to desensitize him to ME touching HIM. I did not make as much progress as I would have hoped with that. I got in a couple of good ones, without him freaking, but I would not call it a success.

We did hit a snag that could be a real issue--once he actually seemed like he wanted to nip at me. I think the feeding from the hand will have to stop. We will see how it goes.

Any thoughts on the next step? He is not ready for being felt up yet

6 comments:

Holly said...

Even tho we spoke on chat I am going to suggest this to you also.

drape a lead over an arm, shoulder, around your neck....where ever. Make it part of the scenery that means nothing yet.

If you can get him to target (touch) different things, request he target the lead. That game is called "touch the boogy man" and makes it THEIR idea to touch the scary thing.

then hold it like you would to clip it onto his halter and have him touch the clip.

then touch your other hand while you move the lead hand around (teaching him to ignore movement and the lead and your hand moving)

Holly said...

I will post a picture to my blog as to how you can hold the clicker, the lead and have him target the other hand.

Holly said...

we already spoke about adding duration also. in addition to that, once you have duration of a count to 5, move a finger on the fist that he is touching to touch him. Just a finger. If he doesn't allow it, no click

Paige said...

Sounds like a plan, I will start that tomorrow.

Holly said...

holding the clicker and the lead are now up on my blog.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're making good progress.
Mom

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network