Monday, June 18, 2012

Diving the Cenotes

The Cenotes are underground caves found all over the Yucatan Peninsula.  They are about 6,500 years old, and were formed thru climate changes. Most of these photos were taken by their house photog, but they are so good, I wanted to share them.  Not only was my camera down for the count, I don't have the right lighting for almost blackness underwater





























.    It was really fascinating and different than anything we have ever dove before--you walk into the jungle and down some stone steps, then fling yourself into the cavern opening.  At Dos Ojos, where most of these were taken, the entry way is pretty big so there is good light to start, but soon you are in almost complete blackness, so you have to use lights.  But there are almost no fish and no vegetation at all--just stalagmites and stalactites, and columns and such. Its what I think outer space looks like, just underwater.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! These are great. Thanks for sharing.
Path42

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking the time to put these photos on the blog. They are beautiful--and very interesting --especially since it is ALL UNDER WATER. We took a tour of the Meramac Caverns and it is kind of similar--but water vs. land. But miss the fish.

Thanks enjoy carol

Shelley said...

Underwater spelunking! Looks very interesting and beautiful.

Amanda said...

Really cool. I would pee myself from the 1-2 punch of darkness and water. Just because it would seem so disorienting. But it's so beautiful. I'm sure I'd run into things. Um, I bet you did too.

sandraclark4 said...

How do you keep from bumping your head on the stalagmites, or is it the stalagtites that hang down. The pictures are phenomenal.

Paige said...

Big dive lights

sandraclark4 said...

These pics are amazing.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network