Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Explain this to me


I have never understood this phenomenon, maybe someone can explain it to me. I am totally addicted to Facebook. It is so helpful for keeping up with people, and when you are not in the mood to deal with people, you just shut it off. It keeps me from getting bored when I have down time, and generally amuses me. Of course, you have to use some sense, and not post things that are too personal or that could cause security issues, but really--it is just not that serious of a venue. Now tell me why someone you do not even know would see reason to block you? OK, I get why you might block the spouse of someone you are sleeping with (yeah, you heard me)---easier to keep secrets that way---but why would anyone else bother? What amount of ego does a person have to have to think there are people out there that are so interested in their activities and carryings-on that they would even bother to block someone? Maybe if you have some sort of bad history or something, I can see it--but a stranger? This just happened to me. Someone I do not know, have never met, but know who she is, up and blocked me. I only noticed (cuz it is not like she is an important figure in my life for Pete's sake) because I was trying to confirm she was who I thought she was--it drives me nuts when I recognize someone but cannot actually put a name to them--and found that I could not see her profile. How odd that was. But of course, I have access to other FB accounts so checked through there--that let me confirm she was who I thought she was, and that she had in fact blocked me. Now of course, I have my curiousity up, and want to know what the hell. So in effect, this little stunt backfired--and since I am a pretty dang good detective, I am sure I will find out what I want to know as soon as I decide to put some effort into it I for sure do not give shit one who reads my status updates or sees my pictures--I just don't. I have nothing to hide from anyone--and couldnt even if I wanted to, probably. I am just too well known, and as Heath says, I don't "blend" well. If I had privacy issues, I would not blog, I would not be so well known and I would make efforts to fly more under the radar. Even with all of that, I have never thought that what I had to say was so imperative that I need to block people from seeing it. If you are not my friend on there, you cannot see it anyway, so why go to the extra trouble of blocking someone? Will someone tell me what the rationale behind this behavior is? Maybe I should be blocking random folk left and right and don't even know it!

10 comments:

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I have a FB account but rarely use it. That is very curious behavior, to be blocked by a stranger.

Lori said...

OK are the accounts you have access to already friends with her? Because I think some people may make it so they can't be "found" on FB. Like one person I don't see him in friends lists of mutual friends, but if I type in his name, there he is. Other people don't come up when you type in their name, they are more in control of the friends thing. I used to feel I was smart but Facebook's 20 different ways to be private or not private kind of gets to me a little.

Paige said...

Yes, I can see her full information if I sign in as one of her friends. If I am signed in as myself (the blocked one), I will not even see her name on a list of someone I know is friends with her. If I am logged in under one of my other accounts that is not blocked, I can see her name on that list, can click on the link and get the regular timeline you see when you are not friends with her --the one that has the message, do you know so and so, and has a few pics. If I do a search just for her name, I get nada. Should someone provide me an actual link to her page, I will get a message about page not found

Reddunappy said...

I have blocked family members that use off the rocker bad language in FB posts(20 something). My nephew is one of them.
I also blocked someone who I was involved in litigation with after I was hit by a drunk driver, to many bad bad memories. And a few other people I dont care to tolerate.
But not someone I dont know.

Lori said...

LOL. I shoulda known you would be up on thoroughly figuring out whether it was personal or FB settings.

Jen @ The Cubicle's Backporch said...

I'm with Lori... I think that it's a user-controlled setting. I know that if you set your controls correctly then you can make it so that no one can find you. In that case, you would never be able to see them...unless they added you as a friend. However, if they are already friends with someone, that person would be able to see their information.

Paige said...

I can see that one ReddunAppy--but does not apply here.

And I think you are right Jen- which confirms I am blocked, as the Baconator can see her!

THINGS YOU'D NEVER GUESS ABOUT ME said...

I needed your detective work last year when my eleven year old blog LIFE IS GOOD got hacked. It was so bad we had to get the sheriff involved when some accounts got hacked also.

We used to visit each other's blogs, but now I have a new address and just this second tracked yours down.

startingoverwithdetermination.blogspot.com

and it's still called LIFE IS GOOD.

Heath said...

I think it has something to do with making herself look like a big shot in front of ger new "BESTIES'S"!!!!

Paige said...

well that is just ignorant--its not like you have to qualify as some sort of superior being in order to push the block button.

Pathetic.

It just makes me wonder what you have to hide. And that is rarely a good thing when dealing with me

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network