Saturday, February 5, 2011

One up, one down

Simba is doing better. After the explosive diarrhea in her sleep at 5 am Friday morning, things had to get better. I bought her a rug to put in front of her bed so she does not slip when she tries to get up, and she is doing better. Still not sturdy on her feet, but stronger all the time. Lets hope the hard part is behind us and I never see a bad seizure--what I have seen is bad enough

Today was Slater's doctor's appointment to confirm why he has lost so much weight, and to see if he has a tooth problem that makes him reluctant to eat dry food, but more than happy to eat canned food.

I was dreading it because in my head I knew. He has osteosarcoma in his jaw. The prognosis is not good--three to six months. Of course, we do not know when that started, so who knows how long we have? We do not believe it was there last summer, and we do not believe it is in any other bones yet, but those are all just educated guesses. Chemo is not even an option for a 9 year old Great Dane. He could have his jaw removed, but that seems insane to me, to put him through it. Not gonna do it. We will just treat his symptoms as they arise--more canned food, mush up his dry food, Tramadol when/if it gets painful, etc

From here on out, both of them get what they want when they want it. I knew these days were coming, but I sure did not expect the double whammy all at once. Fortunately, Barry was able to come home tonight, to spend time with them, which is good. It is times like these that it is so hard on me to have him gone.


Amanda said...

Praying for both your babies. This is seriously astounding that both of these things would happen over 3 days. I'm so sorry.

Love you, aa

Holly said...

I am so sorry. I know how much your animals mean to you.

If it is any consolation, I also chose not to do aggressive treatment on Tori. It is hard to watch them go, even if the decline is gradual, but I think it would be harder to watch if I took away their quality of life or their enjoyment of food and the other simple things they enjoy.

Hugs to you and scritches to the dogs, I am glad Simba is feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Simba, Slater and the Strawns need all the good thoughts that can be sent.

Sorry, sad and glad all the feelings that are expressed. Sorry for the babies, and you and Barry. Sad that the future does not look too good, but glad the Vets know the problems and you guys are able to help these babies for as "long as it takes"

Take care Carol

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Awwww, so tough! I watched both my German Shorthair Pointers slip away due to cancer in 2009. Cherish the good times with them.

Lori E said...

We just had our 14 yr. old lab put down last month. I don't mean to be presumptuous but I know how you feel.
We could have prolonged her life with treatments, maybe even surgery but we decided not to do so. It would have been for us and not for her.
When a beloved pet dies it is devastating but when you have to make the decision it is so much harder. Second guessing the decision. Is it too soon? Physically taking them to the vet to end their suffering. The hardest decisions in our lives.
Our vet sent us a card afterward reiterating that we had done the right thing for our darling Maxine.
I am so sorry you have to go through this. What love your dogs must feel.

Shannon said...

oh no :(. My simba AND slater? I am so sorry. I figure if it makes me cry this much, it has to be absolutely destroying your heart. Give them both big hugs from me.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it


SITS Network