Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bad news

There seems to be a lot of this going on around here lately, but this one kind of surprised me. Or not. Hard to say.


Barry had a biopsy done of this wonky mole on his back--he had it done about 9 days ago. He has about 12 stitches across his lower back where they removed the whole thing (rather than just a tiny piece like a normal biopsy), just to be safe. He was most irritated about not being able to work out for a month so the sutured area can heal.

He got his results today. It is definitely melanoma, and they are going to do another procedure. They want to take more muscle and other tissue to make sure they got all of it. They do not think he needs to be tested to see if it has gone to his lymph nodes, which concerns me as it seems unnecessarily sloppy, but I guess it might be good that they think that. I do not know much more about it than this so far.

I have to ponder this for a while.


21 comments:

Lori E said...

Wow that is a big shocker. Best of luck to him. Take care.

Queen-Size funny bone said...

Hope all will be well and I'll pray for good results.

Holly said...

Shit.

Just shit.

Anonymous said...

Darn darn and darn again.

I'm sending Barry and you---my good luck with a similar condition.

Take care and ponder Carol

Amy said...

Sending good thoughts that they get all of it out!

Amy said...

Sending good thoughts that they get all of it out!

Venom said...

Geez Paige, I'm really sorry to hear that. If he needs some JP, maybe I can find him a hook-up.

duffylou said...

I'm so sorry for your family.

My thoughts to you all for a wonderful, clean bill of health.

OneCowgirl said...

Hang in there! Sending prayers & hugs.

Shelley said...

My thoughts are with you and Barry. I would also be concerned about the lack of further node testing. Maybe a second opinion might ease your mind?

Funder said...

:(

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh Geez! MY thoughts and prayers are with you.

Shannon said...

Sending prayers and good thoughts. Call if you ever need me.

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie..I know it's VERY scarey! Let me know if I can help..

Boogie/Barb

Anonymous said...

((Paige)) I know it's damn scarey right now. Let me know if I can help.

Boogie

The Wife said...

My prayers are with you guys...

Cara said...

Aww Paige - how very scary. Take care of you and will pray for you both.

Anonymous said...

Whenever the ice melts, I was planning on making an appointment to have a coal-black mole removed from my lower back. Of course, I'd put it off til I could complain about the heat of August. Maybe I shouldn't.

Between beautiful horses, a beautiful life, and a gorgeous husband, it's harsh when reality takes a "below the belt" slam-down, strike at us.

And the doctors with a know-it-all complex are the hardest to deal with.

Rob said...

You'll be in my prayers

All the very best

Anonymous said...

Paige, I just came across your blog today, and this is the post I read first. My husband was diagnosed with metastatic melanoma a little over a year ago. He had a pretty major resection of margin tissue and lymph nodes removed. Please feel free to email me if you would like to talk more.

Robin
handsonthehorse@gmail.com

Heidi E. Carpenter said...

I'm so sorry Paige, I hope he has a superficial case.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network