Sunday, August 15, 2010

I bet this will be an unpopular opinion

I have been thinking about this some today, and because every other post on FB is about this topic, I cannot stop myself from popping off about it.


I am talking about this business of the mosque and Islamic cultural center planned near Ground Zero.

On FB, there is another one of those "post this on your wall if you agree" things about how wrong it is that this may happen--it says "If you think, that putting up a mosque, 600 ft. from ground zero & having the inauguration, on the anniversary of 9/11/11 is immoral, inhumane & a complete lack of respect for the memories of all that perished there, on that day & their survivors. That politicians are doing a grave injustice to the fallen heroes, their families & all
the people of New York City, THEN COPY AND PASTE THIS TO YOUR WALL.


What do you think about this?

I will tell you what I think. Of course I will, I mostly always do. I am ashamed and disgusted by people that call this "immoral and inhumane". I agree that it is in poor taste, but I think that about a lot of things. But I do not think I am so important that what I think matters so much that it should trump what other people think.

First of all, who are we to say what a private organization can do with its money, as long as it is within the bounds of the law? Isn't the very idea that the plan should not be allowed to go forward simply echoing the problem that allowed the Twin Towers to fall in the first place? By that I mean, why should any one group (and I include, Americans as "one group") have the right to dominate other groups just because they do not like them? Isnt that why the whole thing started in the first place?

What ever happened to freedom of religion, and freedom of speech and the freedom to assemble? Why do so many people think those rights only matter when everyone agrees on how those things are expressed? The whole point of ensuring those freedoms is to protect the less popular among us--the rest of us do not need it. Why can people not see past themselves?



This article was in the Washington Post this morning.

"President Obama's remarks Friday and Saturday on a proposed mosque and Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero sparked heated exchanges on the Sunday morning news shows.

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.) said on CNN's "State of the Union" that the issue is not that there is a legal right to build the mosque but that those involved should listen to public opinion, which he said is strongly opposed to the project. I Totally agree with this. But there is a difference between SHOULD and FORCING the builders to abdicate to public opinion. Also, we are not a homogenous public--we are a mix of people with different opinions and beliefs. Sure, if the US government was going to do this, it would be a different story--but this is a private interest acting.

Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), whose district includes Ground Zero, countered that there is a "fundamental mistake" behind the thinking of those opposed to the project.

"The fallacy is that al-Qaeda attacked us. Islam did not attack us," Nadler said. To this I say: RIGHT ON! HALLELUJAH--someone gets it.

On "Fox News Sunday," Sen. Jack Reed (D-R.I.) said troops in Afghanistan are being asked to find common ground with Muslims. "If we can't do that here in the United States, we're going to have a very difficult time over there," Reed said. He makes a good point--being the self-annointed police of the world comes with it the responsibility of practicing what we preach--that is not happening in this situation.

National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn (Tex.) responded that "it's unwise to build a mosque in the site where 3,000 Americans lost their lives as the result of a terrorist attack." Unwise?--maybe. But they are free to, just like you and I would be free to do what we want with out property

On "Face the Nation," Republican strategist Ed Rollins said the mosque is "going to be a big, big issue for Democrats across this country" at the ballot box". I think it should be but for a different reason than I bet he thinks---Obama supports the development as a manifestation of the right to build. He clearly said he did not speak to the wisdom of it--just the right to do it. Why do people forget that his role is not to carry out the wishes of the majority blindly, but to do what is constitutionally required (at least as far as he has anything to do with this). Why would people turn on him simply because he stood up for the rights of everyone, and not just yours?


I do not understand how people can be so obtuse about things like this---something is not wrong just because you do not like it. I do not like seafood, but I do not think it should be banned country wide. Why is this any different? People have to be able to separate their emotions from their brains, and it seems to me like a whole pile of Americans cannot do that. That makes me sad, because it does not offer much encouragement that we are any different than those who flew into the towers in the first place. Is that really who you want to be?

17 comments:

Reddunappy said...

I dont have a problem with a mosque there.

Ok I want the statistic on how many Muslims died in the twin towers on 9-11?

Reddunappy said...

OK I googled it and found out that there were at least 62.

Heather said...

I totally agree with you, Paige.

Anonymous said...

OK --Many questions arise as a result of 'other questions'. Whatever happened to the 'right to discuss and disagree' then go have a drink when we to on to the next topic of conversation and still be friends? Learn from each other.

Whatever happened to the 'responsibilites of life'? Where did 'they' go in decision making?

Whatever happened to 'being accountable for what you say and do?'

In wanting to briefly discuss this Muslim organization--I would prefer them to choose a different site, and then welcome the New Yorkers and visitors to visit their building and become part of the New York scene and recognize the differences in lives as granted by our Constitution and Freedom we all revere and share their thoughts and ideas. They do have Freedom of religion and I do believe they deserve it.

I do believe in 'responsibilities'and to respect us as much as we respect them too. This is a two way street in life and that as we drive past each other---wave or smile.

Everyone should be accountable for their actions. Accept any and all consequences with humility. You choose and win or choose and loose.Critics must accept and DWI--Deal with it---Like it or not---.

Right now everyone seems to be on edge and emotions are running high about many situations in our government which affect our personal lives.

Sorry to be long winded but that is me---and you did ask?

Enjoy the COOL WEATHER today.
Carol

Anonymous said...

I just had to add----in our'town' of 250 people---one branch bank, gas station, restaurant and school--I organized the kids at school to collect Teddy Bears for the kids of 9/11. We ended up sending these to a catholic church and police station in Ridgewood NJ. The kids NEEDED SOMETHING TO CLUTCH AND HUG while their remaining parent dealt with the terrible episode that happened in their life.

They were 'new slightly used' bears and the Woodman of the World helped us/me with the postage.

Messages were exchanged and we knew the kids and families appreciated our gesture of long distance "hugs' in times of hardship.

Others have stories of where you were on that day that mark that day forever.

Carol

Jodi said...

"on the anniversary of 9/11/11 is immoral, inhumane & a complete lack of respect for the memories of all that perished there, on that day & their survivors"

In my opninion, they are showing a complete lack of respect. And I would further argue that they are only doing it because they can. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. I think they picked that day to make a point. Why else would they hand pick 9/11? But I will be clear, it doesn't matter if it is a mosque, a grocery store or the grand opening of a strip club. 9/11 should be a day left to itself - pick another day and respect 9/11. The location of the mosque doesn't bother me. I am a firm believer in freedom of religion or lack thereof. But we should be allowed to use our freedom of speech to call them out on just how tacky they are.

Paige said...

Jodi, I do agree that it is tacky. And that people have a right to have an opinion about it, and call others out about it. With that though comes the corresponding right for people like me to think those who have a knee jerk reaction to all this, and react emotionally instead of thoughtfully--are kind of idiots

Also until they make 9/11 a national holiday, I don't think that they are wrong for doing it. Tacky, yes. But still well within their rights. By the way, I absolutely do think it should be a national holiday--and I am sure it will be some day. How long did it take to make some of our other holidays like veterans day, a national holiday? then again, D-Day is not.

Paige said...

Also, I want to see some solid evidence that the 9/11 connection is a true one--that the word "inauguration" is used in all the FB postings suggests to me that it may not be true at all, since that word has no relationship to building, or groundbreakings, or anything else.

I think that may be hysterical overstatement for dramatic effect for many people.

Can someone point me to some actual documentation of the intent to use 9/11 as a date that means something to the building people?

Anonymous said...

Atta way Jodi----

Well said and I agree-

I forgot to put in the respect question.

Carol again---sorry---

Anonymous said...

Documentation of 9/11 date. I did read or hear it somewhere---early on in stories that were beginning to emerge about this building. But dismissed it then---but will think and maybe one of us will find it or not.

Carol

Anonymous said...

Documentation of 9/11 date. I did read or hear it somewhere---early on in stories that were beginning to emerge about this building. But dismissed it then---but will think and maybe one of us will find it or not.

Carol

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

Personally, I think it is tacky as hell, but I'm with you in that they do have the 'right'.

I didn't think they even had the money to actually do it yet, so the thought crossed my mind that they were just throwing it out there to see what the reaction would be. Says a lot about both sides of the fence doesn't it?

Shelley said...

People are so emotional about this subject because it hits so close to home. Quite a few of us have lost loved ones or our loved ones have lost friends on that dreadful day. That could be why it is so difficult to turn off the emotions and focus only on the logic.

I call shenanigans on the individuals who want to build this mosque on the site chosen by them with the date they chose.

I just can't turn off my emotions on this one although I do realize they have a right to do it. Legal rights and moral rights don't always go hand-in-hand.

Rob-bear said...

This is a gutsy post, Paige. And I congratulate you on the way you have thought this through.

There is a profound difference between what is legal and what is "unwise."

There is a profound difference between what is constitutional, and what is bullying.

Good for you!

Holly said...

The issue of public opinion being the driving force is incredibly frightening to me.

On a regular basis...both at work and not at work, I seem to have conversations with people who 1)can't hear what you have to say, as their minds are already made up and 2)they are so totally uneducated and untrainable there is no talking to them.

What they don't realize is that today they are part of the larger group and are going with the popular opinion....but tomorrow it could work against them. And when that shoe is on the other foot it won't feel so fine.

How do I feel about a cultural center and the date. I don't know. The people who want to build this might find it a not so grand idea but then....I'm not so crazy about some of my neighbors either and we manage to deal with each other. I also don't know anything about the group that wants to do this, are they trying to build a positive thing or a negative thing? Now that I'm exploring this, I often disagree with Christians too, so I'm not sure that an Islamic Cultural Center would be any worse than a Christian Cultural Center. Right? Or a Catholic Cultural Center, or an Atheist Cultural Center.....or oh you get the idea.

9/11 was a life changing event for a lot of us. It affected me deeply but a lot of how I might view this would depend on how it's handled, rather than the culture that is thinking about doing it.

Reddunappy said...

People forget, there has been a Mosque down there for 40 years!

Now everyone throws a fit?

Queen-Size funny bone said...

we as a society have become overly sensitive and therefore become extreme about our fears and feelings. Although it makes you wonder what if they put a Japanese monument at Pearl Harbor?

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network