Saturday, January 16, 2010

Project Rebound-Foxy's first update

I took these photos of Foxy Thursday, but have not had time until now to post them. That turns out to be okay since now I have more info to add to the update
Foxy is 14 hands on a good day. She always has belly, because she is out of shape. Even when she is fit up, she has a belly, come to think of it. Now she has no ass-a-tall (worse even than my friend No-Ass Dirty) and her topline is hideous.

Ignore the scurf from her blankets--it makes her look even grosser than she is. And that aint easy.

This angle makes her look the worst. No thigh at all--and had I had some help, I would have a photo of her with her tail pulled up, so you can see how messed up her back end is. It is embarrassing to show these, but if I am going to be honest about this, I have to show the worst pics. I tried to choose the pics that made her look the worst so I can fairly evaluate her progress.
This is the goo she has been draining out of somewhere. I had already coated it all with Vaseline by the time I thought to take a picture of it. That is just plain nasty, isn't it. On a good note, I do not think she still is draining it.

Since she came in --Tuesday nite, was it, or Wednesday? She has eaten well over a bag of senior--close to two actually, and finally got through about 20 pounds of alfalfa pellets and beet pulp. She goes slower on that because she loves the senior so much that I don't think she bothers with that until she has eaten all her senior. In an hour today, she ate about 12 pounds of senior. She is not paying much attention to her hay, other to strew it all over the damn place. The rest of the time, I think she is just peeing--I had to strip the stall already and start over. In all the years of doing this, I have never seen so much pee.

Yesterday, the vet came to see her. He is doing a fecal and running a full blood panel, but we won't have significant results until early in the week. He is concerned that she may have some bleeding in her bowels, which would explain the goo. I don't think the goo texture is right for blood. I think it is more likely that she has some filthy uterine infection, but he knows better than me. The fecal will tell us more about that. He also thinks she may be diabetic, based on how much she is drinking and peeing. It is true that when she is out, I cannot monitor either of those things, but since I stalled her, she has been drinking a good 15 gallons of water a day and peeing like a freak. In the back of my head, I am hoping she is just going through so much water to make up for having limited access to it over the past ten days since the world was frozen. I do not know if that is even a possibility.


On the other hand, when I am not tending to Foxy, I am changing Rock's clothes. She does this to her blanket every couple of days. It is exhausting. I would strip her off and make her deal since it is so much warmer now, but I hate to get behind on her weight etc at her age.......so maybe I keep doing this til I am out of blankets.


ETA: Approx eight hours after I left the farm with Foxy still working on her senior feed, and with a brand new fresh un-peed in stall, I went back to check on her and feed again. She had finished her senior and was happy to get a new full bucket of it--which if she finishes it tonight will put her at about 30 pounds in one friggin day---and had pooped two or three times. Most significantly--NO FLOOD! In fact, there were no obvious pee spots at all, although I am sure she has peed. She had drank five gallons of water or so--hard to say, since I use a 20 gallon bucket for her, so I am estimating that. It will be at least twelve hours before I check on her again--probably closer to twelve, so it will be interesting to see how this 24 hour period compares to the previous 24 hour periods in terms of pee. If at all possible, I am going to put her in a pen to play all day and pee somewhere I don't have to clean it up.

5 comments:

Holly said...

I'd be concerned about the excessive peeing and scalding too. That is a considerable amount of water too. Hope she is ok. She does not look good, but not the worst I have seen either.

Fantastyk Voyager said...

Oh my, poor Foxy! What do you do about a diabetic horse?

Anonymous said...

oh my----I hope for the best----for Foxy---leastways our weather will be decent---temperature---but rain.

enjoy carol

hooves said...

I know you don't want to hear this, but there are really very few diabetic horses. The excessive drinking and peeing is a sign of insulin resistance usually do to cushings. Cushings horses have compromised immune systems, so the goo could be from some sort of infection. Most likely, you are correct about a uterine infection though. Is he running a glucose and insulin test? That is the only way to know for sure. Not trying to outguess the vet, but you know I know this stuff. The big belly(even though out of shape) and the sloping back is also a symptom of cushings. Let us know. hooves

Anonymous said...

She does look pitiful. I hope it's something simple.
Mom

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network