Sunday, October 25, 2009

I have been challenged

Holly, from themares.blogspot.com , has challenged me to do this seven day thing, where I take pics every day and post nine of them. Or something like that. The idea is to show a day in the life of me, I guess. That is how I am taking it at least.

Taking the pics every day is NOT hard--at least not on the weekends--during the week it might get a little dicey since it will be almost dark when I get home. I will try though. Yesterday was my first day, and it was a perfect day for it.


I spent a lot of time in the truck, in the pasture, running errands to help my saviors who are building a new perimeter fence. Which is a whole other story I will tell when I am over it.


It is not a hardship being out there in the sun--the trees are gorgeous this year. It happened while I was gone on my trip.
These two put up over 700 feet of fence in one day. While I would not normally use field fence, this was very much an unplanned and un-budgeted for expense, and we had to do what we had to do. And since it is a perimeter fence, it will not be a situation where horses are likely to bicker over it and get caught in it---or so I am telling myself.

I finally learned the trick of tightening post settings. My guys told me that it was an added rustic touch to use a discarded branch as the twister stick--funny Amish, I have. They swear it adds value to my totally custom fence. Only I get comedians--but I will take it over crackhead employees all day long. I am pretty sure these guys won't be cooking meth on the property.

I really would not use barbed wire if I had any other choice. I have spent years removing it from the property, but hot wire on top of this fence is not an option due to the heavy woods it goes through. Without a suitable incentive to stay off of the fence, the horses might be tempted to lay over it to get to the bean fields on the other side--and like I said, that is a whole other story I don't have the energy to get into.


Tomorrow, they come back after their regular work day to start the next section of fence--it is around 1000 feet. Once that is done, I can relax and get back to real life. I am so grateful to these guys that have come through to help me like they have--they work so hard and get so much done, and do it right. It is a load off my shoulders to have it done (or in the process), so that I don't lose any more sleep or have to wait for Barry to come home to do it--he hardly has the time, or the inclination to take on a project this large.


It was kind of fun to take pics that were a little different than I usually take--it took a lot of thinking and trying to see things in a different way, and I had to try to not take pics of the workers, since they do not like to have their photos taken. That cut out a lot of my photo ops. These did end up demonstrating a day in my life pretty well too--now what I will come up with for six more days, I have no idea.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the Amish are such admirable workers. (And they make darned good food too!!)

Holly said...

these are really really excellent. Good job Paige! Did you use your new big lens?

mommymae said...

doc g barters medical care with his amish patients for labor & other stuff.

and you should take the camera to work.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Love that challenge, I will be interested to see if you can pull it off!! The workers are doing great!! I'm a guessing this fence story is causing you much frustration...Sorry...

Anonymous said...

I am already depressed.

The good and high are the interesting, beautiful, unique pictures. Wonderful and love that one using side view mirror as a prop.

But the bad and low is: it is only for 6 more days. Sigh!

But I will ENJOY Carol

Jen's Farmily said...

The amish are great workers. Did you really have crackheads making meth on your property? Or was that just a Paige-ism?

Anonymous said...

How about taking some pics of your Y team. I also noticed how pretty the road to the Whipperwill Club was.
Mom

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network