Monday, September 21, 2009

Does this look like fall to you?

I took this pic tonight after mowing this pasture and putting Playmate out on it. How can all this green be here on September 20? What a weird weather year this has been here. It did rain a little Sunday morning, and Sunday evening, but otherwise it has been dry for a couple of weeks. Normally, the entire 50 acres is dirt by now, but that is not the case this year.

Playmate is doing well too. She has been in the back pasture most of the year, and is still doing pretty well holding her weight. At 28, she can kind of go up and down--and it just hit me that now she is the oldest horse we own. Wow. She used to be the third. Anyway, she is looking good for a gal her age, which is good to know--I brought her up to potentially put her in a pasture that is getting grained, but I can see now that she is doing just fine on the pasture grass alone. That is encouraging.

Cannot ask for more than that today. Unless it is for Fonzie to feel better, the foals I weaned on Saturday to decide I am not the worst thing in the world after all, and Uno's wound to heal up nice. Yeah, those things would be good.

7 comments:

The Roberts Family said...

just blog hopping! i love all the horses!!

mrscravitz said...

Love that green! Enjoy it while you can, cause it could turn white over night! LOL it is still green around us too. Question: When you mow your pasture, do you just leave the grass clippings for the horses, or do you have a bagger on your mower? I need to mow a part of my pasture but I have heard that grass clippings are not good for horses, so I have never mowed it.

Venom said...

Playmate looks AWESOME for 28! Shows what good care you take of them all - I hope Fonzie feels better soon too.

Up here in the navel of Canada we are also having a late fall, leaves are JUST starting to turn and temps still in the high 70's.

Indian summer is my VERY favourite time of year, no better time to ride! :-)

Holly said...

we have crazee weather here too. Warm as a summer day and night here, warm enough that I'll keep the bedroom window open!

Sure hope that Fonz feels better soon!

Carrie said...

Our weather here in Alberta is CRAZY right now. We have some trees that are bare - some that are just turning yellow and some that are still green as green can be.

Some days have been upwards of 30C during the day - today was only 13C. Tomorrow is supposed to be 29C.

Had frost on my windshield 3 days ago.

Nothing knows what it is supposed to do. One horse is fuzzy, one is shedding.

Hope Fonzy feels better soon - and Playmate looks fantastic.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

Well she is gorgeous for 28!! Yes the weather pattern has been crazy!! Our weather here Monday was way to cold for its norm...I am totally dreading winter :(

Anonymous said...

We cut our weeds ( alias grass) last thursday 9-17 and it was a "creamy green" ---ugly---and the wild bermuda is turning creamy yellow already and the old wild clover is getting brown-----

and weather is to be blamed for a lot of other things besides the outdoor conditions---sinus, arthritis to start with a few

enjoy and hope Fonzie gets better soon.
Carol

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network