Sunday, June 7, 2009

We are back!

This big idea I have about going exotic places that everyone in the world does not go too has some downsides. The main one is that when it is time to come home, it takes FOREVER. Our car came for us at 2:45 am this morning. We flew flew flew flew from 5 til almost 10 am. Then had a 3.5 hour layover, then another 2.5 hour flight. Then a 2 hour drive home. Amy actually beat us home, by a few minutes, and her second leg was almost 6 hours long. That is a lot of traveling in one day....and maybe even harder than the 18 hours it took us to get there the week before. I have no idea why I am not asleep yet--

Anyway, I am whipped, and have to go to bed at a reasonable hour or I will not get up at all tomorrow, and I need to get back to work to see what all has occurred in my absence.

But still I want to get some pics up, since I do not think I have ever left my blog this long. I feel like I have neglected you, but the rumors of good internet access were wildly exaggerated--so I did not check my Email ONCE the whole time. Can you imagine? Barry found some half-assed access a couple of times, to check in with Madison, but I never once did it.

The two pics above were taken last nite, our last nite on the island, as we sat out with some new friends, and had some goodbye Heinekins. I damn near blinded one of them with my flash, but such is the danger of being around me--one of many. And if you had any idea the things they did to me that pushed me hard to do things I was scared of and a couple I pushed my physical limits on--you would wonder why I did not try to blind them earlier in the week.
This is my favorite fish--well now, maybe he is one of three favorite fish. He is a Stoplight Parrotfish, but I call him a Rainbow Parrotfish. I should not though, as there is such a thing, and this ain't him. The good thing about these dudes is they are everywhere. Shallow water, deep water (70 feet or so--they are all over), pretty much everywhere we have gone diving the last few years. I am after a specific picture, and I have almost 900 underwater shots to go through to see if I got it, but I think I probably did not. Guess I will have to go back! In any event, this pic was taken from the deck on which I had lunch yesterday, looking down into the water--so ol boy was in just inches of water at times. Only I would get my best underwater picture NOT underwater, but at least this shot shows his gorgeous colors better than the real underwater shots too--they just never do him any justice.

Isn't he gorgeous?

I cannot wait to go through the shots I took, both above and below water, but there are a couple thousand of them all told, so it will be slow going. The underwater shots take a lot of editing, and I tend to get distracted getting the blue out, but hopefully it will be soon.

I missed you all--but I gotta admit, there is something to be said for being on the edge of the world and not knowing what day it is, or forgetting all the things the I SHOULD have been doing instead of that. And there is dang sure something to be said for the European vacation plan as opposed to the American one--if I think about how our new friends are spending a second week there and I am not, I will get all riled up. I have to find a way to live like that.

Stay tuned--there should be great pics and great stories, but God willing, there will be no pics of my absurd dance I evidently did on the first nite, as I am trying to block it from my mind. Clearly, I will never learn to act my age. You just do not need to see proof of it

13 comments:

Holly said...

that fish is beautiful....but those first two shots are professional quality.

really really nice Paige.....really good.

Holly said...

OH! And welcome home, I'm glad you are back.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

I am so glad your back!!!! I've missed my daily chuckles!!! I'm glad you had a great time, you definitely deserved it!! Love the pictures, can't wait to see more!

Shelley said...

I would call that fish a tie-dye fish. It looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

Oh Paige-----I am so glad you are back ----and yes I HAVE FELT NEGLECTED with no blogs to read with my morning coffee---as well as Lorna's! ! ! But all is forgiven with that beautiful Rainbow Fish and with her as she will finish a sock for me.

The remarkable part of the rainbow fish story is that you took him "standing on the porch" looking down" I didn't think there was place left like this. Thank you for sharing and certainly will look forward to more.

Welcome back and hope all the four-legged pals are OK.

Enjoy enjoy carol

Lorna said...

Beautiful pishies! Glad you are back safe and sound. Sounds like you had a fantastic time! Looking forward to seeing and hearing more!

Linda said...

Parrot fish are beautiful aren't they? So glad you had a great time but glad your back. We will wait patiently for more photos:)

Fancy Schmancy said...

Sounds like you had a great time, so glad for you! That fish picture is amazing!

Debz said...

Beautiful pictures and it sounds like you had a much needed vacation.
Glad your back though!!

The Stiletto Mom said...

So beautiful! Glad you had fun, I'll bet the break from the computer was wonderful!

Amanda said...

yeah. the europeans got it right. I think the Germans have like 26 holidays in addition to 2 weeks at Christmas and regular vacation time. What is that about? I liked that plan. And you wonder why I want to go back so badly. It isn't hard... I'm lazy. And I like it.

glad you had fun.
aa

Carrie said...

Happy to hear you are home and everything is safe and sound.

Looks like you had fun.

The fish is stunning. Shayne said he would love to see one like that one day...up close and personal. Bailey said from a porch or boat would be fine for her.

theCloth said...

I can't wait to see more pictures.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network