Thursday, October 30, 2008

I horrified her

My mom. And that is actually harder than a normal person, because after all, she lives with Dad and that keeps a person in a constant state of outrage. Or at least subtle confusion

We just had lunch and she made the mistake of telling me that I had to vote no on the proposed constitutional convention in Illinois. Which I would anyway, but I stupidly said that I do not take directions from people who vote like she does (which is all I have to say about that because honestly--I don't want to freaking hear any more politics).

This somehow got us on the Constitution. I think me arguing with most people about the Constitution is kind of like me arguing about the death penalty--it is just not fair. Unless you are immersed in it every day like I am, it is the rare person who has the tools to hang in there in an argument with me about it--that is not a put down believe me, but living in a topic makes you a little more well-versed than the average bear. I also come across like I am lecturing--which I kind of am, since it is my job to educate and persuade on the matter of upholding the Constitution in different situations. It is still irritating to listen to, I can well imagine

Mom claims she gets the First Amendment but does not think that certain people (read: Obama's ex- preacher) should not be allowed to say the things he does because they are offensive to her.

Here we go--my own mother, should I have to explain the whole First Amendment to her? I guess so. This is when she started getting that horror-stricken look on her face. Why she is ever shocked by anything I say, I cannot understand--as you know it will be at first blush, outrageous, but ultimately will boil down to the same basic principles.

So off I went into my points. She did not enjoy me.

What people do not get is that the First Amendment does not guarantee you the right to say whatever you want WITHOUT fallout or repercussions. Not in any way does it guarantee you that. It only guarantees you the right to keep on saying it. The rest of the world is free to think you are an asshole, as she does the preacher, but he still has the right to keep on saying it. The world can decide to quit talking to you, to insult you, to throw up on your shoes (although that is getting dicey as it might be a battery or a tort)---but they cannot stop you from saying it. Your job might can stop you--but your job is not the government (even when it is). Your dog is free to run away from home because you are so repugnant. But you can keep on talking.

She confuses societal pressures such as political correctness with the law. Just as the preacher can say what he wants (and her complaint is that he has influence over families and may incite them to violence based on hate), so can she--on the street corner, in her driveway, at Steak N Shake where this convo occurred---there is no difference. That she chooses not to because she fears the repercussions is not the same as being squelched by the government.

This dragged lunch out longer than it should--and may have caused some people to finish their lunch faster than they would have in order to get away from me.

When we got back to my office, I asked her to try to look at the bigger picture of things and separate her emotions and her value system from rational thought when analyzing things, and see if she maybe got a different answer in her head than in her heart. I do not know if she will do it, but she did quit looking horrified and instead looked defeated. How disappointing I must be to her that I am such a radical loudmouth

She got me back though--she was going to pick up a piece of my costume for tomorrow from her friend, and now she says she does not think she can deal with me and my radical opinions.

8 comments:

Audrey (the Hepburn House) said...

Love the post! And, I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!! I got my book yesterday and started it today and in immeresed in it! You're awesome and I will be PIFing if forward soon!

Unknown said...

You radical...quoting the constitution like that.

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've won an argument with you in 25 years, so why would I expect to now? You're too smart for me.
Love you anyway,
Mom

Paige said...

I just want to shake everyone out of their rut of comfortable thinking--I want you to reach your decisions because you analyzed the data, not because you always thought it.

My life has been changed by getting an influx of info and it was so shocking I want everyone to have that opportunity---if you still decide to believe what you believe when you get more info-more power to you. Being complacent is not how we grow

I just want it to be a reasoned choice based on todays info, not the habit of what you thought based on what you decided 10 years ago.

Kind of pie in the sky huh?

Queen-Size funny bone said...

oh my goodness, she gave birth to a rebel...lol

theCloth said...

I think you give great advice about letting the data shape the decision.

We as a nation don't do enough critical thought.

hooves said...

Probably when I was your age or even younger I would rant and rave about things to my mom and she would look at me like I was crazy. I was, and still am, a rebel about many things. I think when you get older you will still be radical, but will realize you have to pick your battles and you will probably not change your mom. Atleast you still have one that can argue with you. And, to your mom, Paige had to get her brains from you. hooves

Anonymous said...

I get the First Ammendment to--BUT-

Good Grief as Charlie Brown would say.

May your tricks be few and treats be many! ! ! !

HAPPY HALLOWEEN and enjoy Carol

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network