Thursday, October 30, 2008

Here comes the perspective

WOW

Here I am watching the news like a normal person, and wondering if there might be some reality TV on, when I catch a familiar name--Sam Fieber.

Sam is a friend of mine from law school. He was one of those people that you have funny coincidences with--he was the Godfather of my ringbearer in my wedding--which was just two months before law school started.

That is more noteworthy since we are both from small towns in southern Illinois, but the ringbearer was not---he and ringbearer's father were best friends from U of I, and Barrys mom was the babysitter of ringbearer growing up. Also, being from small towns, we had a kind of kinship about being rednecks so we considered each other sort of a safety zone. Sam was married (so was I) but he lived in his hometown and drove 1.5 hours to school instead of living there, so he was not around all the time, but still we were drawn to each other because of all of our commonalities.

Since then, there have been other funny links--horse people that know us both, etc. I almost never see him, but he is one of those that you are always thrilled to see and spend more time than you have chatting or getting a drink and just catching up. We would run into each other in the strangest places and it was always a treat

So on the news, they report that it is confirmed that he is one of two victims IDed from an oil well explosion. Yet another interesting coincidence--this one horrible--both of us slammed by fire, but I sure came out better than he did.

He was a trip, ol Sam was.

RIP Sam.

You will be missed

7 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

that was sad. I'm so sorry.

Holly said...

I am so sorry Paige.

hugs

Anonymous said...

I was only familiar with the last names of the victims, I knew none personally. I'm sorry you lost a friend. It was certainly a tragic accident. Very sad. And the survivors have a long road ahead. Burns are awful.

Anonymous said...

Sam was my dad and while I never cared for him much, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate the kind things you had to say about him. : )

Paige said...

I am sorry for your loss.

Anonymous said...

To Sam's kids....I am the wife of a good friend of Sam's. My husband also worked for Sam in the oilfields for awhile...so glad he wasn't working there when this happened. I understand that you haven't been close to your dad in a long time (and may even understand some of the reasons why), but please try to find it in your heart to come to his memorial service. It may not seem important to you now, but in the future you may regret not being there. Please accept my condolences and prayers for you and your family.

BrownEyed Cowgirl said...

I have worried about My Honey every since we got serious. He has worked in every 3rd world crap-hole there is and has lost a lot of friends to the oil industry. In just the last couple of years he has had hands, break arms, smash fingers, lose fingers and get smacked in the head with pipe. It is tough and dangerous work. The people who stay in the industry are a distinct breed-much like bikers or cowboys. Their families pay a high price-we often refer to ourselves as oilfield widows. Unfortunately, they often make the choice of their work over their families because to them, their work defines who they are.

I am sorry for the lose of your friend!!

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network