Friday, July 18, 2008

At long last--the Corn Palace!



This is the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD.

I had NEVER heard of this place, but once I mentioned that I was going through South Dakota, everyone and their brother told me to go there.

It is sure strange.

Basically, it is an auditorium--they have basketball games and concerts and such in there.

The cool thing is that every year, they design new murals for the outside of it. Then the murals are made out of corn and other grains.




The theme for 2008 is Everyday Heroes, so each mural was about some kind of person--a teacher, a cop, a fireman, etc

The birds eat the corn throughout the year--they were feasting pretty well when we were there.


I am not sure what is stranger--that anyone ever thought this up or that there had to be 1,000 people there, even at 9 am.

As odd as it was, it was interesting.

3 comments:

Holly said...

holy crap he's big

Anonymous said...

Told ya so! ! ! !

Corn Palace was wonderful then and looks like it is now. Only A LOT MORE CROWDED.

Glad you stopped.

Enjoy Carol

Holly said...

well that went to the wrong post! I meant that to go to the buffalo bull one.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network