Saturday, January 5, 2008

They think it is an amusement park


A few weeks ago, we moved the babies and yearlings to the hay field so they could get out of the pasture they had destroyed and turned into a mud field. It took them a little time to realize they could have the entire 25 acres to play in, but they have figured it out now. Sometimes, I cannot even see them in the pasture at all.

This morning, they were hanging out near the ponds, and the apple orchard. I took this photo with the 12X zoom all the way out, and still cannot see much.

There is so much for them to explore there---the two ponds, one of which was dry all year but is probably filling up now and one they are fenced off from--there is a creek running through the back, a few acres of woods and pretty steep terrain, you name it, they have it to play in this field. We have had a ball watching them run and play lately.

When that gets boring, they can always play with things that make noise---like banging in this empty water trough that we put hay in. Midget was raising so much hell yesterday, I thought someone would call the police. And please ignore that fence--they have beat it down trying to get to grass, and we are working on that now--starting with the top line of hotwire that is helping.

I cannot believe they count as yearlings and two year olds now

5 comments:

Holly said...

they bang around in empty metal water troughs but they spook at a bit of anything on the ground...

Paige said...

Interesting dichotomy, isn't it?

Holly said...

I guess it's all about choices, just like with us.

Robin Sallie said...

I love the horse photos.

Can you shoot from hawks back?

Paige said...

I don't see why not, I do all the time on the trails when there is something intersting happening. Might as well try him too!

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network