Wednesday, December 21, 2011

RIP Slater 2002-2011

It has taken me several weeks to do this because I refused to think about it.
But that does not change that it happened.

Slater Strawn has gone on to the big couch in the sky. We did it on a Saturday so Barry could be with him too. Slate had his last ice cream that morning, and had to be helped to the car, but he was ready to go. The poor guy lasted 9.5 years, which is a really long time for a Dane, but nowhere near long enough. Because I had computer crashes, these pics were my favorites from FB, so that is what you get.

I miss him so much, and I know there will never be another baby Alligator like him. I wish I knew how many thousands of miles of road trips we took together, or how many people who were completely amazed at what a gentle giant he was--he made friends everywhere we went. One of his favorite games was meeting hotel clerks, and pushing elevator buttons then sitting in the corner of the elevator acting like a person. He was more like a person than a dog and sure was nicer than most people---it is definitely a different house without him in it.

RIP Slater--you are so missed






5 comments:

Heath said...

Very nice and fitting epitaph!!!!

shadowlake2005 said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Seems like the holidays only make you miss them even more, maybe because you think of drawing your loved ones in around you. Hugs and solace to you. Slater was one beautiful dog.

KarenTX said...

Wishing you comfort and so sorry about your loss. Slater was a handsome boy. I lost my Harl, Sarge, at age 11 and a half. We were lucky to have him that long. He loved the kids and was truly a gentle giant.

Venom said...

My condolences Paige.
I've been there and done that - as recently as 4 months ago when my little house dog slipped away.
It never gets easier, and yet those of us who really love animals can't be without the comfort and unconditional love that they offer.

You gave Slater a wonderful life; I have no doubt that he died a satisfied and happy dog.
Hugs, Venom

Fantastyk Voyager said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! He's was a beauty and HUGE!! Danes are such gentle giants. I had one many years ago, Max and he was a sweet boy.

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network