Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 2--retake

All right, after that insane dive with Jesus, we needed some recovery time. We took naps I think, then went to dinner at a local pub known for great churrasco steak. And it was good good good. And our waiter liked us so only charged us about half what we should have paid, and we are no fools, so we were happy to eat free key lime pie.

The next day we decided to dive with Horizon Divers, an operator right on the canal our hotel was on. It was a great decision. We went out with ab out 20 people--most from Germany, and some others who were tech divers.
This is Sharkey's...fun local place with good food. We had dinner there.
To say our trip out to open water was a pretty one would be a bit of an understatement. This is clearly not the place for po folks.
Look at that horsepower---THREE 275 horse power engines. Some ol boy wants to get somewhere in a hurry. I have to admit a girl can dream, seeing these things all around.
But the houses--that is what really gets to me. Aren't they gorgeous? I could not possibly even pick which one I would want if they were giving them away.

Maybe this one---although I am not much of a pink girl.
Finally we made our way out to open water, several miles out to dive the Speigel Grove. And because the one thing wrong with Key Largo is that they do not rent underwater cameras, we had to use cheapy underwater cameras with REAL film. Who knows where I can get that developed and how long it will take, so there are no underwater pics yet. I will save most of the info about the USS Spiegel Grove until I have those pics, other than to say that it is a 510 foot ship that was used as a landing ship dock. She is 65 to 135 feet underwater, which is perfect as it offers so much variety--but I will get into all of that later.
Obligatory dumb ass photo of me on dive boat. I do not know why Amy takes these things
So I take them of her. That will show her.
This is Bob. He was our captain, and I thought a really good one. When your captain tells you that today is a clusterf&*$ like every other day, you can imagine you are in for a treat with him. He was the prototypical captain--unlike the dude from the day before, but very much why I love the whole package of the dive experience so much.
And okay, I will admit it--quite often you get some nice scenery to go along for the ride. The guy on Amy's left was part of the crew, but he dove with the tech divers so we did not get to dive with him. The other dude is just a dude, but I think it is clear why I somehow ended up with about 14 pics of him. He was very funny. Not that I listened too good, you understand.

After our two dives on the Speigel Grove, we made a charge for Key West. And that is when the stories get really good. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

Holly said...

She takes those pix of you so you have proof for Cloth that you were on vaca. You take pix of her because you can.

so there. All figured out now.

I'll take $30 AND the pink house for that 15 minutes of my time.

But the house won't stay pink, we'll have to do *something* about that color. I like pink, but not that much.

City girl turned Country Girl said...

I agree the pink house! OH boy can a girl dream LOL!! Oh it sounds like you had such a good time!! Did I tell you yet how jealous I am?! I could so use a vacation right now LOL!!

Can't wait to hear the stories to come!!

Anonymous said...

Pink and yellow houses! What--- no pretty blue????

Hard to imagine people who are RICH but not famous live in those pastel palaces. Can you imagine what their cold weather chateau's look like? and then throw in the house where they stay while they make MORE MONEY.

Look forward to more.
ENJOYED for a change Carol

Jen's Farmily said...

That looks so fun!

I love that pink house and I don't like pink either.

Amy said...

If I recall correctly, YOU took the picture of ME first - I was just getting back at ya! And, yes, stay tuned for the Key West posts folks - those are the funny ones!

Gail said...

Glad to know you are seeing many things of interest.

Jocelyn said...

Looks like you gals had a great time!

and as for the eye candy, yummy...

I could so use a vacation right now.

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, including those of you and Amy.
Love you,
Mom

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network