Saturday, September 19, 2009

Uno's hard week

Is that almost the saddest face you have ever seen? Uno has been on lockdown for a couple of days, having his ouchie treated and taking antibiotics. I thought he would like it if I let him out of a stall and into a 40 x 70 pen where he could play and talk to friends. To hear him tell it, he is in a concentration camp.


He is Aries' first baby, and he is about 17 months old or so.

Now, see, shouldn't being social make him happier? He is not so grateful
I think he is cute as he can be. He reminds me a lot of Sly at that age--if only in his presence. He does not really look like him.

He has his mama's face for sure. Hopefully he will grow a forelock and not rip it out like she does, which always makes her face look way longer than it is.

When I got to the farm to give him his meds this morning, he was AWOL. There was a gate malfunction (due to miscalculation by fool who built fence), and Uno was on the lam. I tracked his tail down and brought him back for his meds and doctoring, and the next time I looked at him, this was what I saw.


He must have had a hell of an adventure last nite--he looked like he was on a three day bender

You cannot really tell from this, but this area used to be a teeny outdoor riding arena. But I turned it into a dry lot for pre-foaling mares, and put a shelter in it. For that reason, the footing is bizarre. The deep sand we put in it has churned into the ground, and it gets really gross if we have a lot of rain. Now grass and weeds grow in it and it is very ugly. It is also very uneven. Uno found a high spot and used it for a pillow.

I watched him sleep for a while, and he kept grinning. It was so cute. He would stretch and groan, and curl his front legs up under him like a puppy. So cute

This is what his ouch looks like now. Healing for sure, but still ugly. The swelling is going way down too. It does not bother him in the least and he is being really good about letting me doctor up in there. This is what I love about Slybabies. When I brought him in, he had to be run out of the pasture and into a stall so he could be haltered. Within 24 hours, he was leading perfectly, tying and standing nicely and coming to me every time I show up. I do not bother with them other than for necessary things like shots, deworming, farrier, etc, but when the time comes that I need to, they act like it has all been done their whole lives. They make it easy on me.

Now let's see if he is still where I left him in the morning!

8 comments:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oooh! That wound does look nasty. I hope it heals quickly and doesn't leave much of a scar. He's so adorable! That grin just shows that he is one seriously contended horse. :)

~Lisa

ps popped over here from Jocelyn's blog.

mrscravitz said...

What are you doing for the wound? Where is it at, and what did he do? I am working on a yearling, that has a bad injury to his left hind hock, and it is still oozing puss, but is getting better.

Lorna said...

Glad the wound is healing well. He looks so tuckered out from his adventure - so innocent - LOL!

Anonymous said...

How sweet! A kid who stayed out past the curfew time---is now "poooped"

Enjoy

Jen's Farmily said...

Wow, his wound does look bad!

I love the shot of him with his eyes shut... it DOES look like he had a rough and wild night!

Laura Marchant said...

This may totally sound silly but I swear I have never seen a horse lay down to sleep, lol

Heidi E. Carpenter said...

OMG he is sooo cute! His muzzle looks like velvet. What a darling! That wound will heal up in no time :-)

City girl turned Country Girl said...

OH my I can't believe he went awol!! I'm glad you found him quickly and in good condition other than being tired from his bing!!

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network