Friday, February 29, 2008

Grandpa update


Gramps got his blankey off this morning, as it was already 48 degrees at 9 am--he loves his blanket but he liked getting it off too. It got up to 60 day and is going to be even nicer all weekend, so I left it off and turned him out after taking some update shots.








I am pretty pleased with his condition. God knows we have worked hard enough at it this winter, and spared no expense to keep him up--it is amazing what 15 pounds of senior, plus bet pulp, plus soy oil will do for a man. Add in all he can eat alfalfa and alfalfa chaffhaye and he ought to be fat as a tick--but this is a great weight for him to keep him as sound as possible too.

LeaAnn turned him out when she arrived and he immediately found a mudhole to roll in--not that that was difficult in any way considering the squirrelly weather we have been having.

Whatever turns him on suits me fine--I hate it that I missed his turnout as I love to see him act a fool when he gets turned out for the first time in a while. He gets exercise in the round pen, and his stall is huge, but after a while, the only thing that turns him on is open fields. The ice we have had for weeks has made it hard for him to get real turnout more than once or twice over the last couple of weeks.

I hear he was pretty happy to get all dirtied up though. Too bad I missed it---good thing he is pretty much self-clearning so I don't have to deal with it!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I don't even know him, but just the way you describe him makes me melt. What a sweetie.

Paige said...

See there you go--the power of story-telling. You will see when you meet him---he is a cranky old goat, all business, who occasionally will allow a person to love on him. But he does not like it, and he makes it clear that he is tolerating you out of the goodness of his heart (assuming that he has one).

Anonymous said...

Grandpa looks fantastic. You're right, though, he should with all the extras he gets. Lucky doesn't look so bad either.
Mom

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it

Photo of the Whenever I feel like changing it
Playtime

Followers



SITS Network